Is Kibble Rewarding?

Food treats are a common reward, of course. But there is a whole wealth of food available. When using food as a treat, it is important to use food your dog values. A lot of people say that you shouldn't use kibble as a reward, but if it is sufficiently rewarding for your dog, then it's a great reward. When your dog is distracted, then they might need something they like better (then again, maybe your dog thinks kibble is the best thing ever.) All of my dogs have found kibble quite rewarding, but sometimes they liked other foods better. I think kibble tends to be more rewarding for my dogs because I rarely just give them a bowl of kibble, they get it as part of a game or as training treats. Also, I tend to have more than one variety of kibble on hand, to mix it up a little. Pico had dental problems, so I used dental kibble as one of her treats (she really liked it.) I've used the cat dental kibble a lot for training, it is more flavorful and smaller, so it can be eaten more quickly.

No comments: